Chocolate Avocado Shake
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This rich, healthy chocolate shake recipe is dairy-free and gets its creaminess from avocado instead of ice cream. If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use regular low-fat milk and any type of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in place of the nondairy chocolate chips.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk or other nondairy vanilla milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 12 ice cubes
- Scoop avocado into a blender; add milk, cocoa, brown sugar (or maple syrup), melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and frosty.
Tips & Notes
- To melt chocolate, microwave in a bowl on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
Per serving: 381 calories; 23 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 27 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 11 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, smoothies
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013