Chocolate Avocado Shake
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This rich, healthy chocolate shake recipe is dairy-free and gets its creaminess from avocado instead of ice cream. If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use regular low-fat milk and any type of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in place of the nondairy chocolate chips.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk or other nondairy vanilla milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 12 ice cubes
- Scoop avocado into a blender; add milk, cocoa, brown sugar (or maple syrup), melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and frosty.
Tips & Notes
- To melt chocolate, microwave in a bowl on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
Per serving: 381 calories; 23 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 27 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 11 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, smoothies
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2013