Chocolate Angel Food Cake
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
Serve this chocolate angel food cake with low-fat frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1/4 cup hot, strong coffee
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve cocoa in coffee in a medium bowl; let cool to room temperature. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer in a large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat just until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites in 3 parts, folding in gently after each sifting. Stir approximately 1 cup of the egg-white mixture into the coffee mixture. Fold it back into the egg-white mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Smooth the top and run a small knife or spatula through the batter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean and the top springs back when touched lightly, 50 to 60 minutes. Invert the pan over the neck of a bottle and let cool completely. With a knife, loosen the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991