Chocolate Angel Food Cake
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
Serve this chocolate angel food cake with low-fat frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1/4 cup hot, strong coffee
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve cocoa in coffee in a medium bowl; let cool to room temperature. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer in a large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat just until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites in 3 parts, folding in gently after each sifting. Stir approximately 1 cup of the egg-white mixture into the coffee mixture. Fold it back into the egg-white mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Smooth the top and run a small knife or spatula through the batter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean and the top springs back when touched lightly, 50 to 60 minutes. Invert the pan over the neck of a bottle and let cool completely. With a knife, loosen the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991