Chocolate Angel Food Cake
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
Serve this chocolate angel food cake with low-fat frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1/4 cup hot, strong coffee
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve cocoa in coffee in a medium bowl; let cool to room temperature. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer in a large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat just until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites in 3 parts, folding in gently after each sifting. Stir approximately 1 cup of the egg-white mixture into the coffee mixture. Fold it back into the egg-white mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Smooth the top and run a small knife or spatula through the batter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean and the top springs back when touched lightly, 50 to 60 minutes. Invert the pan over the neck of a bottle and let cool completely. With a knife, loosen the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991