Chocolate Angel Food Cake
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
Serve this chocolate angel food cake with low-fat frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1/4 cup hot, strong coffee
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve cocoa in coffee in a medium bowl; let cool to room temperature. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer in a large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat just until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites in 3 parts, folding in gently after each sifting. Stir approximately 1 cup of the egg-white mixture into the coffee mixture. Fold it back into the egg-white mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Smooth the top and run a small knife or spatula through the batter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean and the top springs back when touched lightly, 50 to 60 minutes. Invert the pan over the neck of a bottle and let cool completely. With a knife, loosen the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991