Chipotle Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Who says tacos are just kids' fare? Here's a sophisticated weeknight dinner that combines a charred steak and a bright, fresh salsa. (Best of all, the kids will like it too.)
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle chile plus 1 pinch, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings (see Tip)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Combine oil, 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small dish. Rub into both sides of steak. Place the tortilla stack on the coolest part of the grill or upper warming rack, if possible, and heat, flipping once, until warmed through and very pliable. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Grill pineapple rings until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the tortillas, steak and pineapple from the grill. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before very thinly slicing crosswise into strips.
- Meanwhile, dice the pineapple and transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, onion, cilantro, vinegar, the remaining pinch of chipotle and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Serve the sliced steak in the warm tortillas with the pineapple salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Prepeeled and cored fresh pineapple is commonly available in the produce section of supermarkets.
Per serving: 283 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique