Chipotle Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Who says tacos are just kids' fare? Here's a sophisticated weeknight dinner that combines a charred steak and a bright, fresh salsa. (Best of all, the kids will like it too.)
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle chile plus 1 pinch, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings (see Tip)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Combine oil, 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small dish. Rub into both sides of steak. Place the tortilla stack on the coolest part of the grill or upper warming rack, if possible, and heat, flipping once, until warmed through and very pliable. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Grill pineapple rings until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the tortillas, steak and pineapple from the grill. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before very thinly slicing crosswise into strips.
- Meanwhile, dice the pineapple and transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, onion, cilantro, vinegar, the remaining pinch of chipotle and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Serve the sliced steak in the warm tortillas with the pineapple salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Prepeeled and cored fresh pineapple is commonly available in the produce section of supermarkets.
Per serving: 283 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique