Chipotle Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Who says tacos are just kids' fare? Here's a sophisticated weeknight dinner that combines a charred steak and a bright, fresh salsa. (Best of all, the kids will like it too.)
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle chile plus 1 pinch, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings (see Tip)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Combine oil, 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small dish. Rub into both sides of steak. Place the tortilla stack on the coolest part of the grill or upper warming rack, if possible, and heat, flipping once, until warmed through and very pliable. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Grill pineapple rings until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the tortillas, steak and pineapple from the grill. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before very thinly slicing crosswise into strips.
- Meanwhile, dice the pineapple and transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, onion, cilantro, vinegar, the remaining pinch of chipotle and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Serve the sliced steak in the warm tortillas with the pineapple salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Prepeeled and cored fresh pineapple is commonly available in the produce section of supermarkets.
Per serving: 283 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique