Chipotle Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Who says tacos are just kids' fare? Here's a sophisticated weeknight dinner that combines a charred steak and a bright, fresh salsa. (Best of all, the kids will like it too.)
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle chile plus 1 pinch, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings (see Tip)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Combine oil, 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small dish. Rub into both sides of steak. Place the tortilla stack on the coolest part of the grill or upper warming rack, if possible, and heat, flipping once, until warmed through and very pliable. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Grill pineapple rings until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the tortillas, steak and pineapple from the grill. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before very thinly slicing crosswise into strips.
- Meanwhile, dice the pineapple and transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, onion, cilantro, vinegar, the remaining pinch of chipotle and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Serve the sliced steak in the warm tortillas with the pineapple salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Prepeeled and cored fresh pineapple is commonly available in the produce section of supermarkets.
Per serving: 283 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation