Chipotle Cheddar Chard
From EatingWell: December 2006
The bright assorted colors of rainbow chard are especially lovely in this spicy, cheesy dish. Make a double batch and enjoy it as a quesadilla filling, as we did often in the Test Kitchen for lunch.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato, broth (or water), chipotle to taste and salt; bring to a simmer. Add chard leaves and cook, covered, stirring once, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Scatter cheese evenly over the chard and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 90 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (313% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- December 2006