Chipotle Cheddar Chard
From EatingWell: December 2006
The bright assorted colors of rainbow chard are especially lovely in this spicy, cheesy dish. Make a double batch and enjoy it as a quesadilla filling, as we did often in the Test Kitchen for lunch.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato, broth (or water), chipotle to taste and salt; bring to a simmer. Add chard leaves and cook, covered, stirring once, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Scatter cheese evenly over the chard and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 90 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (313% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- December 2006