Chipotle Cheddar Chard
From EatingWell: December 2006
The bright assorted colors of rainbow chard are especially lovely in this spicy, cheesy dish. Make a double batch and enjoy it as a quesadilla filling, as we did often in the Test Kitchen for lunch.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato, broth (or water), chipotle to taste and salt; bring to a simmer. Add chard leaves and cook, covered, stirring once, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Scatter cheese evenly over the chard and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 90 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (313% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006