Chipotle-Cheddar Broiled Avocado Halves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
In this avocado side-dish recipe, zesty avocado halves are topped with melted Cheddar cheese and broiled until golden brown. You can serve these healthy avocado halves as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, halved and pitted, skin left on
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo (see Tip), minced (about 1 teaspoon), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus 4 wedges for serving
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet.
- Thoroughly combine cheese, chipotle, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Evenly divide the cheese mixture among the avocado halves. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Per serving: 191 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013