Chipotle-Cheddar Broiled Avocado Halves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
In this avocado side-dish recipe, zesty avocado halves are topped with melted Cheddar cheese and broiled until golden brown. You can serve these healthy avocado halves as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, halved and pitted, skin left on
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo (see Tip), minced (about 1 teaspoon), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus 4 wedges for serving
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet.
- Thoroughly combine cheese, chipotle, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Evenly divide the cheese mixture among the avocado halves. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 191 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013