Chipotle-Cheddar Broiled Avocado Halves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
In this avocado side-dish recipe, zesty avocado halves are topped with melted Cheddar cheese and broiled until golden brown. You can serve these healthy avocado halves as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, halved and pitted, skin left on
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo (see Tip), minced (about 1 teaspoon), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus 4 wedges for serving
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet.
- Thoroughly combine cheese, chipotle, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Evenly divide the cheese mixture among the avocado halves. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 191 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013