Chipotle-Cheddar Broiled Avocado Halves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
In this avocado side-dish recipe, zesty avocado halves are topped with melted Cheddar cheese and broiled until golden brown. You can serve these healthy avocado halves as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, halved and pitted, skin left on
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo (see Tip), minced (about 1 teaspoon), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus 4 wedges for serving
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet.
- Thoroughly combine cheese, chipotle, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Evenly divide the cheese mixture among the avocado halves. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 191 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- March/April 2013