Chipotle-Orange Broccoli & Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Chipotle peppers add kick to this tofu and broccoli stir-fry recipe. If you’re shy about spice, cut back on the amount or leave them out completely. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo (see Tip), seeded if desired
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain tofu and pat dry; cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle tofu on all sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, stirring every couple of minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and broccoli to the pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the broccoli is bright green, about 1 minute. Add orange juice and chipotle and cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan. Cook, gently stirring, until the tofu is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for the small cans of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with Mexican foods at large supermarkets.
Per serving: 242 calories; 17 g fat (1 g sat, 11 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (219% daily value), Vitamin A (69% dv), Folate (28% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012