Chipotle-Orange Broccoli & Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Chipotle peppers add kick to this tofu and broccoli stir-fry recipe. If you’re shy about spice, cut back on the amount or leave them out completely. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo (see Tip), seeded if desired
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain tofu and pat dry; cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle tofu on all sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, stirring every couple of minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and broccoli to the pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the broccoli is bright green, about 1 minute. Add orange juice and chipotle and cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan. Cook, gently stirring, until the tofu is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for the small cans of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with Mexican foods at large supermarkets.
Per serving: 242 calories; 17 g fat (1 g sat, 11 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (219% daily value), Vitamin A (69% dv), Folate (28% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012