Chipotle-Orange Broccoli & Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Chipotle peppers add kick to this tofu and broccoli stir-fry recipe. If you’re shy about spice, cut back on the amount or leave them out completely. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo (see Tip), seeded if desired
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain tofu and pat dry; cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle tofu on all sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, stirring every couple of minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and broccoli to the pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the broccoli is bright green, about 1 minute. Add orange juice and chipotle and cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan. Cook, gently stirring, until the tofu is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for the small cans of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with Mexican foods at large supermarkets.
Per serving: 242 calories; 17 g fat (1 g sat, 11 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (219% daily value), Vitamin A (69% dv), Folate (28% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012