Chipotle Albondigas Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Just a bit of spicy chorizo sausage adds lots of flavor to the meatballs in this hearty Mexican soup. Dandelion greens, carrots and corn are colorful additions.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 limes, divided
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed (1-2 links)
- 1/2 cup fine whole-grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef or bison
- 6 cups chopped dandelion greens or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice 1 lime; reserve the juice. Break up chorizo in a large bowl. Mix in cornmeal, scallions, cilantro, egg, garlic, oregano, pepper and the lime zest. Add meat. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon for each, make about 40 small meatballs.
- Add greens, carrots and chipotle to taste to the simmering broth mixture, then add the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs (Step 2) and freeze airtight, uncooked, for up to 3 months. Defrost before proceeding with Step 3.
Per serving: 351 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High potassium
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 2012