Chipotle Albondigas Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Just a bit of spicy chorizo sausage adds lots of flavor to the meatballs in this hearty Mexican soup. Dandelion greens, carrots and corn are colorful additions.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 limes, divided
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed (1-2 links)
- 1/2 cup fine whole-grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef or bison
- 6 cups chopped dandelion greens or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice 1 lime; reserve the juice. Break up chorizo in a large bowl. Mix in cornmeal, scallions, cilantro, egg, garlic, oregano, pepper and the lime zest. Add meat. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon for each, make about 40 small meatballs.
- Add greens, carrots and chipotle to taste to the simmering broth mixture, then add the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs (Step 2) and freeze airtight, uncooked, for up to 3 months. Defrost before proceeding with Step 3.
Per serving: 351 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High potassium
- March/April 2012