Chipotle Albondigas Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Just a bit of spicy chorizo sausage adds lots of flavor to the meatballs in this hearty Mexican soup. Dandelion greens, carrots and corn are colorful additions.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 limes, divided
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed (1-2 links)
- 1/2 cup fine whole-grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef or bison
- 6 cups chopped dandelion greens or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice 1 lime; reserve the juice. Break up chorizo in a large bowl. Mix in cornmeal, scallions, cilantro, egg, garlic, oregano, pepper and the lime zest. Add meat. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon for each, make about 40 small meatballs.
- Add greens, carrots and chipotle to taste to the simmering broth mixture, then add the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs (Step 2) and freeze airtight, uncooked, for up to 3 months. Defrost before proceeding with Step 3.
Per serving: 351 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High potassium
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012