Chipotle Albondigas Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Just a bit of spicy chorizo sausage adds lots of flavor to the meatballs in this hearty Mexican soup. Dandelion greens, carrots and corn are colorful additions.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 limes, divided
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed (1-2 links)
- 1/2 cup fine whole-grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef or bison
- 6 cups chopped dandelion greens or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice 1 lime; reserve the juice. Break up chorizo in a large bowl. Mix in cornmeal, scallions, cilantro, egg, garlic, oregano, pepper and the lime zest. Add meat. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon for each, make about 40 small meatballs.
- Add greens, carrots and chipotle to taste to the simmering broth mixture, then add the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs (Step 2) and freeze airtight, uncooked, for up to 3 months. Defrost before proceeding with Step 3.
Per serving: 351 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High potassium
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012