Chinese Seafood Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
If you have large sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally before adding to the soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or linguine
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining broth, shrimp, scallops, soy sauce and vinegar. Return to a simmer and cook until the shrimp and scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. If using linguine, cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with scallions.
Per serving: 352 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 853 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994