Chinese Seafood Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
If you have large sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally before adding to the soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or linguine
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining broth, shrimp, scallops, soy sauce and vinegar. Return to a simmer and cook until the shrimp and scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. If using linguine, cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with scallions.
Per serving: 352 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 853 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994