Chinese Seafood Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
If you have large sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally before adding to the soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or linguine
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining broth, shrimp, scallops, soy sauce and vinegar. Return to a simmer and cook until the shrimp and scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. If using linguine, cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with scallions.
Per serving: 352 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 853 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994