Chinese Seafood Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
If you have large sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally before adding to the soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or linguine
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining broth, shrimp, scallops, soy sauce and vinegar. Return to a simmer and cook until the shrimp and scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. If using linguine, cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with scallions.
Per serving: 352 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 853 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994