Chinese Seafood Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
If you have large sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally before adding to the soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, or linguine
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining broth, shrimp, scallops, soy sauce and vinegar. Return to a simmer and cook until the shrimp and scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water just until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. If using linguine, cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with scallions.
Per serving: 352 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 853 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994