Chilled Melon Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This refreshing summer soup is a great starter for dinner on the patio on a summer evening. Try any variety of melon in this recipe. Serve leftover soup with salad for lunch the next day.
- 6 cups cubed ripe melon
- 1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion green, plus 1 whole scallion, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 2-by-1/2-inch strip orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, or mint for garnish
- 6 teaspoons plain yogurt, or crème fraiche for garnish
- Dice enough melon to measure 1 cup and combine in a small bowl with cucumber, 2 tablespoons lime juice and scallion green. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve the soup.
- Place the remaining melon and 4 tablespoons lime juice in a blender. Chop the whole scallion and seed and chop jalapeño; add to the blender along with water, orange zest, orange juice, ginger and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more lime juice, jalapeño and/or orange juice, if desired.
- Refrigerate the soup until chilled, 2 hours.
- Stir the reserved diced melon mixture and divide among 4 soup bowls. Pour the soup into the bowls. Garnish each serving with cilantro (or mint) and yogurt (or crème fraîche), if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the melon mixture (Step 1) and soup (Step 2) in separate containers for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 4 just before serving.
Per serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- July/August 2009