Chilled Melon Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This refreshing summer soup is a great starter for dinner on the patio on a summer evening. Try any variety of melon in this recipe. Serve leftover soup with salad for lunch the next day.
- 6 cups cubed ripe melon
- 1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion green, plus 1 whole scallion, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 2-by-1/2-inch strip orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, or mint for garnish
- 6 teaspoons plain yogurt, or crème fraiche for garnish
- Dice enough melon to measure 1 cup and combine in a small bowl with cucumber, 2 tablespoons lime juice and scallion green. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve the soup.
- Place the remaining melon and 4 tablespoons lime juice in a blender. Chop the whole scallion and seed and chop jalapeño; add to the blender along with water, orange zest, orange juice, ginger and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more lime juice, jalapeño and/or orange juice, if desired.
- Refrigerate the soup until chilled, 2 hours.
- Stir the reserved diced melon mixture and divide among 4 soup bowls. Pour the soup into the bowls. Garnish each serving with cilantro (or mint) and yogurt (or crème fraîche), if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the melon mixture (Step 1) and soup (Step 2) in separate containers for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 4 just before serving.
Per serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- July/August 2009