From EatingWell: September/October 1995
For a series on ABC's Good Morning America, we did an EatingWell Rx of the hosts' favorite recipes. One of Charles Gibson's favorites is a hearty Chili-Taco Casserole, which, before undergoing an EatingWell makeover, weighed in at 36 grams of fat per serving; that has now been reduced by more than a third.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chili with meat and beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce, (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets and a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush oil lightly over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with salt. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Stir together chili, pinto beans, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, onions and 3/4 cup of the cheese in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of the tortilla crisps and stir to coat them with sauce. Turn into the prepared baking dish and bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix together sour cream and yogurt in a small bowl and spread over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 cups tortilla crisps. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
Per serving: 449 calories; 21 g fat (10 g sat, 5 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 11 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)