From EatingWell: September/October 1995
For a series on ABC's Good Morning America, we did an EatingWell Rx of the hosts' favorite recipes. One of Charles Gibson's favorites is a hearty Chili-Taco Casserole, which, before undergoing an EatingWell makeover, weighed in at 36 grams of fat per serving; that has now been reduced by more than a third.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chili with meat and beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce, (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets and a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush oil lightly over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with salt. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Stir together chili, pinto beans, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, onions and 3/4 cup of the cheese in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of the tortilla crisps and stir to coat them with sauce. Turn into the prepared baking dish and bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix together sour cream and yogurt in a small bowl and spread over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 cups tortilla crisps. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
Per serving: 449 calories; 21 g fat (10 g sat, 5 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 11 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995