From EatingWell: September/October 1995
For a series on ABC's Good Morning America, we did an EatingWell Rx of the hosts' favorite recipes. One of Charles Gibson's favorites is a hearty Chili-Taco Casserole, which, before undergoing an EatingWell makeover, weighed in at 36 grams of fat per serving; that has now been reduced by more than a third.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chili with meat and beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce, (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets and a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush oil lightly over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with salt. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Stir together chili, pinto beans, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, onions and 3/4 cup of the cheese in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of the tortilla crisps and stir to coat them with sauce. Turn into the prepared baking dish and bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix together sour cream and yogurt in a small bowl and spread over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 cups tortilla crisps. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
Per serving: 449 calories; 21 g fat (10 g sat, 5 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 11 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995