From EatingWell: September/October 1995
For a series on ABC's Good Morning America, we did an EatingWell Rx of the hosts' favorite recipes. One of Charles Gibson's favorites is a hearty Chili-Taco Casserole, which, before undergoing an EatingWell makeover, weighed in at 36 grams of fat per serving; that has now been reduced by more than a third.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chili with meat and beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce, (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets and a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush oil lightly over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with salt. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Stir together chili, pinto beans, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, onions and 3/4 cup of the cheese in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of the tortilla crisps and stir to coat them with sauce. Turn into the prepared baking dish and bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix together sour cream and yogurt in a small bowl and spread over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 cups tortilla crisps. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
Per serving: 449 calories; 21 g fat (10 g sat, 5 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 11 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995