Chili-Brown Sugar Delicata Squash with Pears
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Pears and delicata squash tossed with brown sugar, chili powder and bacon is a delectable combination. To make this vegetarian, omit the bacon and toss the squash and pears with the brown sugar and chili powder during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 medium ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with pears, oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a large baking sheet.
- Roast the squash and pears until just tender, stirring once or twice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 teaspoons fat from the pan. Over medium heat, stir in water, brown sugar and chili powder. Add the squash and pears; toss to coat. Crumble the bacon on top.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you bake.
Per serving: 160 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (219% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010