Chili-Brown Sugar Delicata Squash with Pears
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Pears and delicata squash tossed with brown sugar, chili powder and bacon is a delectable combination. To make this vegetarian, omit the bacon and toss the squash and pears with the brown sugar and chili powder during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 medium ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with pears, oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a large baking sheet.
- Roast the squash and pears until just tender, stirring once or twice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 teaspoons fat from the pan. Over medium heat, stir in water, brown sugar and chili powder. Add the squash and pears; toss to coat. Crumble the bacon on top.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you bake.
Per serving: 160 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (219% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010