Chili-Rubbed Steaks & Pan Salsa
Any cut of steak will work for this recipe, but we especially like the flavor and texture of rib-eye with these seasonings; look for steak that has been thinly cut. A cold ale, sweet potato fries and vinegary coleslaw can round out the meal.
- 8 ounces 1/2-inch-thick steaks, such as rib-eye, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 portions
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a plate, cover with foil and let rest while you make the salsa.
- Add tomatoes, lime juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and any accumulated juices from the steaks. Serve the steaks topped with the salsa.
Per serving: 192 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 359 mg sodium; 515 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat