A chili burger without the mess—beans, jalapeños and chili seasonings are mixed right into the ground beef. By bulking up the ground beef with mashed beans, not only do you reduce saturated fat, you increase fiber. Canned beans are fine here; just be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Tomato salsa, for garnish
- Shredded lettuce, for garnish
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until light golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño and cumin; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes longer. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 tablespoon water.) Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beans to the onion mixture and mash coarsely with a potato masher. Add beef, tomato paste, cilantro, thyme, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties (see Tip).
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place on rolls and garnish with salsa and lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less