A chili burger without the mess—beans, jalapeños and chili seasonings are mixed right into the ground beef. By bulking up the ground beef with mashed beans, not only do you reduce saturated fat, you increase fiber. Canned beans are fine here; just be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Tomato salsa, for garnish
- Shredded lettuce, for garnish
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until light golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño and cumin; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes longer. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 tablespoon water.) Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beans to the onion mixture and mash coarsely with a potato masher. Add beef, tomato paste, cilantro, thyme, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties (see Tip).
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place on rolls and garnish with salsa and lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation