From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Earthy chili powder combines with the sour-power of sherry vinegar to create a fine dressing for the grassy-green asparagus. For a smoky twist, try substituting smoked paprika for the chili powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and water; cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chili powder (or paprika), garlic powder and salt; cook until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add vinegar and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika can be purchased in gourmet markets and online at www.tienda.com.
Per serving: 62 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (42% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April/May 2006