From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Earthy chili powder combines with the sour-power of sherry vinegar to create a fine dressing for the grassy-green asparagus. For a smoky twist, try substituting smoked paprika for the chili powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and water; cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chili powder (or paprika), garlic powder and salt; cook until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add vinegar and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika can be purchased in gourmet markets and online at www.tienda.com.
Per serving: 62 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (42% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April/May 2006