From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Earthy chili powder combines with the sour-power of sherry vinegar to create a fine dressing for the grassy-green asparagus. For a smoky twist, try substituting smoked paprika for the chili powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and water; cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chili powder (or paprika), garlic powder and salt; cook until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add vinegar and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika can be purchased in gourmet markets and online at www.tienda.com.
Per serving: 62 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (42% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006