Chile, Potato & Cheese Omelet
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Serve topped with salsa. Accompany with warmed flour tortillas and a grated carrot salad.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and pepper in a bowl until blended. Stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet (see Tip) over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chiles and scallions. Pour egg mixture over vegetables; return to heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until edges are set and omelet is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler. Broil omelet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set and lightly browned. Loosen omelet and slide onto a platter. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To ovenproof a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle with foil.
Per serving: 236 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Selenium (37% dv), Calcium, Folate & Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1999