Chile, Potato & Cheese Omelet
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Serve topped with salsa. Accompany with warmed flour tortillas and a grated carrot salad.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and pepper in a bowl until blended. Stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet (see Tip) over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chiles and scallions. Pour egg mixture over vegetables; return to heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until edges are set and omelet is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler. Broil omelet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set and lightly browned. Loosen omelet and slide onto a platter. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To ovenproof a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle with foil.
Per serving: 236 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Selenium (37% dv), Calcium, Folate & Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1999