Chile, Potato & Cheese Omelet
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Serve topped with salsa. Accompany with warmed flour tortillas and a grated carrot salad.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and pepper in a bowl until blended. Stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet (see Tip) over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chiles and scallions. Pour egg mixture over vegetables; return to heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until edges are set and omelet is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler. Broil omelet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set and lightly browned. Loosen omelet and slide onto a platter. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To ovenproof a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle with foil.
Per serving: 236 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Selenium (37% dv), Calcium, Folate & Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1999