Chile, Potato & Cheese Omelet
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Serve topped with salsa. Accompany with warmed flour tortillas and a grated carrot salad.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and pepper in a bowl until blended. Stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet (see Tip) over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chiles and scallions. Pour egg mixture over vegetables; return to heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until edges are set and omelet is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler. Broil omelet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set and lightly browned. Loosen omelet and slide onto a platter. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To ovenproof a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle with foil.
Per serving: 236 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Selenium (37% dv), Calcium, Folate & Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1999