Chile, Potato & Cheese Omelet
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Serve topped with salsa. Accompany with warmed flour tortillas and a grated carrot salad.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and pepper in a bowl until blended. Stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet (see Tip) over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chiles and scallions. Pour egg mixture over vegetables; return to heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until edges are set and omelet is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler. Broil omelet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set and lightly browned. Loosen omelet and slide onto a platter. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To ovenproof a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle with foil.
Per serving: 236 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Selenium (37% dv), Calcium, Folate & Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1999