From EatingWell: August/September 2005
A cross between an enchilada sauce and mole, this pesto pairs well with grilled meat or vegetables.
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 dried New Mexico chiles, (see Ingredient note), stemmed, seeded and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup pepitas, (pumpkin seeds), toasted (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, for 20 seconds more. Add chiles; cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and immediately turn off the heat. When the water stops boiling, pour the chile mixture into a small bowl. Make sure all the pieces are submerged; cover and set aside to soften, 20 minutes.
- Pour the chile mixture into a food processor or large blender. Add pepitas, thyme, cumin and salt. Pulse a few times, then process until smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Dried New Mexico chiles are sweet with a hint of spiciness. They can be found in the specialty-produce section of the supermarket, in gourmet-food markets or online at www.melissas.com.
- Tip: To toast pepitas, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 27 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- August/September 2005