Chile-Crusted Scallops with Cucumber Salad
A refreshing salad of cucumbers and roasted cashews makes a nice contrast to these smoky scallops. You can make the salad and scallop skewers up to 8 hours in advance; cover separately and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to grill.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 cup salted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped (2 ounces)
- 2 scallions, (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded serrano chile
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds dry sea scallops, (see Note), tough muscle removed
- To prepare salad: Peel and seed cucumbers; quarter lengthwise and slice 1/4 inch thick. Combine the cucumbers, cashews, scallions, lemon juice, oil, parsley and salt in a large bowl.
- To prepare scallops: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool, then coarsely chop. Combine the cumin seeds, chile, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Rinse scallops, pat dry and rub with the spice mixture. Thread the scallops onto four 12-inch skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack. Grill the scallops until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the scallops from the skewers. Serve warm with the cucumber salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover the salad and scallop skewers separately and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. | Equipment: Four 12-inch skewers
- Note: Be sure to request “dry” sea scallops, which have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). They are more flavorful and will brown properly.
- When using wooden skewers: Wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 304 calories; 21 g fat (3 g sat, 15 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 909 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (38% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)