Chile-Cheese Brunch Casserole
Zesty and cheesy, this casserole is easy to make ahead of time for entertaining.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites, or 1/4 cup dried egg whites reconstituted according to package directions
- 2 16-ounce containers low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup prepared tomato salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toast tortillas: place one at a time directly on a burner (gas or electric) set at medium heat. Toast, turning frequently with tongs, until golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Cut tortillas into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Whisk 2 whole eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Add flour, baking powder and salt; whisk until smooth. Add remaining 2 whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Add cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, chiles and tortilla strips and mix with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the casserole until set in the center and golden on top, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve with salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The casserole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 225 calories; 10 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 815 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium & Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation