Chile-Cheese Brunch Casserole
Zesty and cheesy, this casserole is easy to make ahead of time for entertaining.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites, or 1/4 cup dried egg whites reconstituted according to package directions
- 2 16-ounce containers low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup prepared tomato salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toast tortillas: place one at a time directly on a burner (gas or electric) set at medium heat. Toast, turning frequently with tongs, until golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Cut tortillas into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Whisk 2 whole eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Add flour, baking powder and salt; whisk until smooth. Add remaining 2 whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Add cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, chiles and tortilla strips and mix with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the casserole until set in the center and golden on top, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve with salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The casserole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 225 calories; 10 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 815 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique