Chile-Cheese Brunch Casserole
Zesty and cheesy, this casserole is easy to make ahead of time for entertaining.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites, or 1/4 cup dried egg whites reconstituted according to package directions
- 2 16-ounce containers low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup prepared tomato salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toast tortillas: place one at a time directly on a burner (gas or electric) set at medium heat. Toast, turning frequently with tongs, until golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Cut tortillas into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Whisk 2 whole eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Add flour, baking powder and salt; whisk until smooth. Add remaining 2 whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Add cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, chiles and tortilla strips and mix with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the casserole until set in the center and golden on top, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve with salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The casserole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 225 calories; 10 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 815 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium & Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)