We love this casserole. It is much requested by friends and family for potlucks. Green sauce is our favorite, but love red sauce too. We use the leftovers to fill omelettes. Sometimes I leave out the black beans and make a pot of fresh pintos w/jalapenos as a side dish. Good eats!
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Our version of this enchilada-style chilaquiles casserole is packed with nutritious beans and vegetables. Canned prepared enchilada sauce has great flavor and keeps the prep time quick. It can vary in heat level so find one that suits your taste. If you want to eliminate the heat altogether, try a green enchilada sauce (which is often milder than red) or substitute two 8-ounce cans of plain tomato sauce.
162 Reviews for Chilaquiles Casserole
Outstanding! I used four fresh tomatoes, diced, rather than canned and diced yellow squash rather than grated zucchini. My enchilada sauce only came in a 14 oz can, so I used that (red sauce) and a small 8 oz can of salsa verde. Added 8 oz of baked, seasoned chicken tenders (diced). This will be a "go to" brunch recipe with scrambled eggs with chives, fresh fruit and a blueberry sweet bread. Yum!
I have made my enchiladas like this for years so I thought you might be interested in another variation using canned tomatillos drained and mashed use the liquid to mix with McCormick enchlada dry mix to add to the gravy especially good to liven up chicken or turkey
Everyone loves this dish -- and it is easy so I love it too!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)