I substituted Mission Artisan StyleTortillas Corn and Whole Wheat for the corn tortillas with excellent results. This recipe was loved by my whole family.
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Our version of this enchilada-style chilaquiles casserole is packed with nutritious beans and vegetables. Canned prepared enchilada sauce has great flavor and keeps the prep time quick. It can vary in heat level so find one that suits your taste. If you want to eliminate the heat altogether, try a green enchilada sauce (which is often milder than red) or substitute two 8-ounce cans of plain tomato sauce.
160 Reviews for Chilaquiles Casserole
This is my favorite recipe from www.eatingwell.com
The first time I made this it came out fine and was a hit with my husband and a friend who likes Mexican but wouldn't necessarily eat vegetarian or healthy. The next time, I didn't have enough corn tortillas and since I live in Aqaba, Jordan, that meant I was unable to buy more anywhere in town. I substituted some whole wheat tortillas, bigger than my corn tortillas so I had to guess on the amount but figuring the idea was to make complete layers with both kinds. Following the cooking directions and other ingredients exactly, I ended up with a very soupy casserole. I think it was the substitution so I put some more WW tortillas on top to absorb the sauce but the casserole was still not the same texture. Lesson learned: don't substitute for the corn tortillas and buy some up in Amman this week!
What a delicious way to get those beans in! And so quick to make. It's a keeper! Great with sour cream.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)