Feta cheese and chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad. The Creamy Dill Ranch is great with it, but would also be good with a tangy vinaigrette.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides. Add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onion in a medium bowl. Add dressing and pepper and toss to coat. (Refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow’s-milk dairy product. Find both low-fat and nonfat versions in the dairy section of the supermarket. You can replace buttermilk in any recipe with an equal amount of “sour milk.” Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk. Or use buttermilk powder (found in the baking section) prepared according to package directions.
Per serving: 81 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique