Feta cheese and chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad. The Creamy Dill Ranch is great with it, but would also be good with a tangy vinaigrette.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides. Add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onion in a medium bowl. Add dressing and pepper and toss to coat. (Refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow’s-milk dairy product. Find both low-fat and nonfat versions in the dairy section of the supermarket. You can replace buttermilk in any recipe with an equal amount of “sour milk.” Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk. Or use buttermilk powder (found in the baking section) prepared according to package directions.
Per serving: 81 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique