Feta cheese and chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad. The Creamy Dill Ranch is great with it, but would also be good with a tangy vinaigrette.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides. Add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onion in a medium bowl. Add dressing and pepper and toss to coat. (Refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow’s-milk dairy product. Find both low-fat and nonfat versions in the dairy section of the supermarket. You can replace buttermilk in any recipe with an equal amount of “sour milk.” Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk. Or use buttermilk powder (found in the baking section) prepared according to package directions.
Per serving: 81 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique