Chickpea & Red Onion Salad
Slivered red onions, canned chickpeas and capers combine in a delightful Mediterranean-inspired salad. Make it a meal: Delightful served alongside grilled chicken thighs or shrimp kebobs.
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Red leaf lettuce leaves
- Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain well and place in a salad bowl.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, lemon juice, oil and capers; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on lettuce leaves.
Per serving: 201 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique