Chickpea & Potato Hash
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The eggs cook right on top of this chickpea and potato hash—cook them a few extra minutes if you prefer hard-set eggs. Serve with warm pita bread and a cucumber salad with mint and yogurt.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- Combine potatoes, spinach, onion, ginger, curry powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato mixture and press into a layer. Cook, without stirring, until crispy and golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Fold in chickpeas and zucchini, breaking up chunks of potato, until just combined. Press back into an even layer. Carve out 4 “wells” in the mixture. Break eggs, one at a time, into a cup and slip one into each indentation. Cover and continue cooking until the eggs are set, 4 to 5 minutes for soft-set yolks.
Per serving: 382 calories; 20 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 186 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 562 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Folate (32% dv), Iron (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- May/June 2012