Chickpea, Chorizo & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Chorizo lends this Mediterranean-inspired spinach soup recipe a smoky paprika flavor, and since the chorizo is sautéed first, much of the fat is drained away. Be sure to buy dry-cured, salami-style Spanish chorizo, not soft, Mexican-style sausage by the same name.
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out, about 5 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels; discard fat.
- Add oil to the pot and place over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until just soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and the reserved chorizo; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 320 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 643 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Folate (41% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014