Chickpea, Chorizo & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Chorizo lends this Mediterranean-inspired spinach soup recipe a smoky paprika flavor, and since the chorizo is sautéed first, much of the fat is drained away. Be sure to buy dry-cured, salami-style Spanish chorizo, not soft, Mexican-style sausage by the same name.
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out, about 5 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels; discard fat.
- Add oil to the pot and place over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until just soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and the reserved chorizo; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 320 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 643 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Folate (41% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014