Chickpea, Chorizo & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Chorizo lends this Mediterranean-inspired spinach soup recipe a smoky paprika flavor, and since the chorizo is sautéed first, much of the fat is drained away. Be sure to buy dry-cured, salami-style Spanish chorizo, not soft, Mexican-style sausage by the same name.
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out, about 5 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels; discard fat.
- Add oil to the pot and place over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until just soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and the reserved chorizo; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 320 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 643 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Folate (41% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014