Chickpea, Chorizo & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Chorizo lends this Mediterranean-inspired spinach soup recipe a smoky paprika flavor, and since the chorizo is sautéed first, much of the fat is drained away. Be sure to buy dry-cured, salami-style Spanish chorizo, not soft, Mexican-style sausage by the same name.
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out, about 5 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels; discard fat.
- Add oil to the pot and place over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until just soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and the reserved chorizo; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 320 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 643 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Folate (41% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014