Chickpea, Chorizo & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Chorizo lends this Mediterranean-inspired spinach soup recipe a smoky paprika flavor, and since the chorizo is sautéed first, much of the fat is drained away. Be sure to buy dry-cured, salami-style Spanish chorizo, not soft, Mexican-style sausage by the same name.
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat melts out, about 5 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels; discard fat.
- Add oil to the pot and place over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until just soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes (or puree) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth, chickpeas and sweet and smoked paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper and the reserved chorizo; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 320 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 643 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Folate (41% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Magnesium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 2014