Chickpea & Chorizo Fideos
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This quick, one-pot version of fideos, a toasted pasta recipe served in Spain, gets a smoky flavor from delicious chorizo. If you can’t find Spanish chorizo, pepperoni works well in its place. Serve with a green salad drizzled with sherry vinaigrette.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 package whole-wheat angel hair pasta (7-8 ounces), broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, wine and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and scallions and cook 1 minute more.
Per serving: 474 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate & Iron (24% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013