Chickpea & Chorizo Fideos
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This quick, one-pot version of fideos, a toasted pasta recipe served in Spain, gets a smoky flavor from delicious chorizo. If you can’t find Spanish chorizo, pepperoni works well in its place. Serve with a green salad drizzled with sherry vinaigrette.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 package whole-wheat angel hair pasta (7-8 ounces), broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, wine and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and scallions and cook 1 minute more.
Per serving: 474 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate & Iron (24% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2013