Chickpea & Chorizo Fideos
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This quick, one-pot version of fideos, a toasted pasta recipe served in Spain, gets a smoky flavor from delicious chorizo. If you can’t find Spanish chorizo, pepperoni works well in its place. Serve with a green salad drizzled with sherry vinaigrette.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 package whole-wheat angel hair pasta (7-8 ounces), broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, wine and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and scallions and cook 1 minute more.
Per serving: 474 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate & Iron (24% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2013