Chickpea & Chorizo Fideos
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This quick, one-pot version of fideos, a toasted pasta recipe served in Spain, gets a smoky flavor from delicious chorizo. If you can’t find Spanish chorizo, pepperoni works well in its place. Serve with a green salad drizzled with sherry vinaigrette.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 package whole-wheat angel hair pasta (7-8 ounces), broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, wine and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and scallions and cook 1 minute more.
Per serving: 474 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate & Iron (24% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013