These chickpea burgers are similar to falafel, but with the added whole-grain goodness of brown rice and wheat germ. Serving them on pita breads with thick slices of tomato and a dab of plain yogurt continues the Middle Eastern theme, but if you want to take it even further, drizzle with a little sauce made with minced garlic and tahini thinned with water and lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup wheat germ, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads, warmed
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Heat a small skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and toast, stirring, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add coriander and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds more. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Grind with a mortar and pestle or in a spice mill or clean coffee grinder; set aside.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. (Alternatively, preheat a grill to medium-high.)
- Coarsely mash chickpeas in a medium bowl with a potato masher. Stir in rice, 1/3 cup wheat germ, lemon juice, salt, pepper, the reserved spice mixture and the scallion mixture; mix well. Shape the mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Place the remaining 1/3 cup wheat germ in a shallow dish and dredge the patties, pressing the wheat germ onto them firmly. If broiling, place the patties on a lightly oiled rack set on a baking sheet. (If grilling, oil the grill rack; see Tip.)
- Broil (or grill) the patties until browned and heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Tuck the burgers into pitas with tomato slices, spinach and yogurt.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 478 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 82 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 15 g fiber; 813 mg sodium; 693 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Magnesium (45% daily value), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (38% dv), Vitamin C (32% dv), Vitamin A (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Middle Eastern
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)