Chicken with Mustard & Leeks
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
A savory mustard coating keeps the chicken moist; threads of carrot and leek add color. Make it a meal: Garlic-Rosemary Mushrooms and roasted red potatoes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (1 pound total), trimmed
- 4 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast in the center on one half of each opened paper heart. Spread mustard evenly over chicken breasts. Distribute leeks, carrots and thyme over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 172 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 279 mg sodium; 481 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993